MedStar Harbor Hospital 3001 S Hanover St, Baltimore, MD 21225
- Coordinates the review and investigation of occurrences and potentially compensable events. Assists legal counsel in the preparation of defense for liability suits. Assists in maintaining a hospital-wide awareness of patient and associate safety, risk management, and quality review.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or healthcare field.
- 2 years risk management experience in hospital or insurance field. Nursing background a plus.
- No special certification, registration or license required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Coordinates a patient complaint system to centralize the data collection and maintenance of information.
- Defines and activates reporting procedures to facilitate the notification to administration of all significant patient, visitor, or product incidents.
- Develops internal controls to reduce financial losses associated with claims, decreasing the number, frequency, and severity of claims.
- Ensures effective patient and family communications related to patient care and safety problems to enhance the hospital’s community relations image and consumer confidence.
- Ensures that quality standards are maintained related to all incidents through review, analysis, and follow-up studies to improve patient care.
- Establishes an effective patient and visitor incident reporting system with specific reporting and guidelines in high-risk departments, specialties, and other departments.
- Identifies and corrects potential risks in an effort to reduce and prevent potential injuries or losses. Participates in risk identification and control programs.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prepares and presents risk management educational programs.
- Provides necessary statistical reports and other related information as required by hospital and medical staff. Prepares, reviews, and maintains claim files.